How much does a good vacuum cleaner cost? The truth is, you don’t need to spend more than a hundred pounds to get an excellent quality, powerful vacuum cleaner for using around the home or in your place of work.
Here are some of the best vacuum cleaners available in the UK for less than £100 in 2016.
- NUMATIC HVR200-11 Henry Vacuum Cleaner
- Vax U90-MA-Re Air Reach Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- Vax H85AC21B Air Cordless Switch Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- Morphy Richards 732005 2-in-1 Supervac Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
- Vax 6131T 3-in-1 Canister Vacuum Cleaner
NUMATIC HVR200-11 Henry Vacuum Cleaner
This is the one of the latest versions of the classic Henry hoover we all know and love. Behind Henry’s cute smile is some serious vacuuming power. Let’s see what this vacuum cleaner can do…
- 9 litre capacity – you can use this vacuum cleaner for a long time without needing to change the bag.
- 620 Watts
- 2-stage motor technology
- 10 metre cable with a rewind system for putting the cable away quickly
- Folding handle with a click lock function
- Upholstery brush for chairs and sofas
- Energy-saving design
- Comes with a bag already inside it
- Comes with a soft brush for delicate areas
Attachments: 2.4m threaded hose, stainless-steel extension tube, floor nozzle, crevice tool, dusting brush, upholstery nozzle.
Weight: 8 kg
Dimensions: 34 x 37 x 36 cm
- The 9-liter dust bags this vacuum cleaner takes are cheap and easy to replace
- Quick to put away thanks to the cable rewind system and the click-lock function
- Can be used on lots of different surfaces: carpet, laminate floors, cushions etc.
- Four wheels makes it easy to manoeuvre about
- Cute design makes cleaning more fun
- Will suck almost anything up without getting blocked
- Long 10 metre cord
- Takes a bag, so if you’re looking for a bagless vacuum cleaner, this isn’t for you
- Sometimes the pipes can become loose and you have to tape them up
This version of the Henry vacuum cleaner has a lower wattage than some earlier models, but you won’t notice any loss of power. This vacuum cleaner offers great value for money (see price on Amazon), and should last years of regular use.
Vax U90-MA-Re Air Reach Upright Vacuum Cleaner
The Vax U90-MA-Re is one of the most popular upright vacuum cleaners in the UK at the time of writing. It’s small and light at just 4.9 kg, which is about a third of the weight of a regular upright vacuum cleaner. This makes it easy to carry around and take upstairs. Let’s have a look at this vacuum cleaner in more detail…
- Multi-cyclonic technology separates dirt from the air to provide more powerful suction
- Includes a 3-in-1 upholstery/dusting/crevice tool
- Eco-friendly and in accordance with EU regulations for energy efficiency
- 10 metre cord and 3.6 metre hose
- TurboTool for using on upholstery and stairs
- 5 litre dust container
Weight: 4.9 kg
- Powerful and good at sucking up things like dog hair
- Very light
- Versatile brushes
- Bottom filter can’t be washed
- Dust container is relatively small
The small size and light weight of this vacuum cleaner make it feel like a toy, but it certainly doesn’t perform like one. The Vax U90-MA-Re has very strong suction power and can compete with bigger and more expensive vacuum cleaners. It’s a great choice for people who find regular vacuum cleaners to be heavy and unwieldy.
Vax H85AC21B Air Cordless Switch Upright Vacuum Cleaner
The Vax H85AC21B is a very light cordless vacuum cleaner. It features a rechargeable battery, allowing you to use it for up to 15 minutes without it being plugged into the mains. This is good if you don’t like having cables getting in your way or just want something for a quick 10-15 minute whip round.
- A 10-inch nozzle
- 15-minute run time
- LED light so you can see what you’re vacuuming
Weight: 3.4 kg
- Good amount of suction
- Very light and easy to carry
- You can remove the nozzle and use it as a handheld mini vacuum cleaner
- No cords
- Short battery life means it’s no good for thorough vacuuming or using in large buildings. Charging takes around 10 hours so you can’t quickly recharge it and start again.
- Doesn’t work so well on hard floors
- Light is on by default, even though it usually isn’t needed
The Vax H85AC21B vacuum cleaner has its uses, but isn’t a good choice for a general-purpose vacuum cleaner due to its short battery life. If you have a heavy corded vacuum cleaner and want something light for doing a quick clean, it’s a good choice. Otherwise, you will find the battery life doesn’t last long enough.
Morphy Richards 732005 2-in-1 Supervac Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
The Morphy Richards 732005 is another cordless vacuum cleaner. It has a longer run time than the Vax H85AC21B reviewed above (35 minutes compared to the Vax’s 15 minutes). You can use it as either an upright or a handheld vacuum cleaner, hence the name ‘2-in-1’.
Weight: 3 kg
- 18 V battery
- Two-in-one (upright and handheld)
- Collapsible handle for easy storage
- Comes with attachments
- Light and easy to manoeuvre
- Longer battery life than other cordless vacs (35 minutes)
- Easy to empty
- Good amount of power
- Relatively quiet
- Dust container needs emptying quite often
- Charge won’t last long enough for large buildings
You might be sceptical about whether or not a cordless vacuum cleaner can provide enough power to do a good job, but the Morphy Richards 732005 Supervac certainly impresses in this regard. If you have a small house or flat the battery life should be enough for your needs, and you’re unlikely to be disappointed with the vacuum cleaner’s level of suction.
Vax 6131T 3-in-1 Canister Vacuum Cleaner
The Vax 6131T 3-in-1 Canister Vacuum Cleaner combines a vacuum cleaner with a carpet washer and a spill cleaner.
- 5 m hose
- Comes with a crevice tool, a dusting brush and a combi-floor head
- 5 wheels for added stability and manoeuvrability
- Ultra+ solution and Fibreflow wash head for carpet cleaning
- 10 litre capacity
- Dust container has a good capacity (10 L)
- Powerful with plenty of suction
- Carpet cleaning feature works well
- Relatively heavy
- Gets through cleaning solution quickly
Weight: 8 kg
The Vax 6131T is the most versatile vacuum cleaner reviewed here, as you can also use it to clean up accidental spills and wash your carpets. Packing all these features into one machine makes it quite heavy, so you might prefer to get a lightweight vacuum cleaner and a separate lightweight carpet cleaner if you don’t want something too heavy.