The Minky Retractable Washing Line is one of the most popular washing lines available in the UK. It has a convenient design that lets you pull the line out and retract it without having to wind it up. It also conveniently stores the washing line away in its own casing when it’s not being used.
It can be bought with a single 15m line or a double line with two 15m lines positioned about 6cm apart. The washing line is made with a PVC-coated material which is resistant to sunlight and can be cleaned easily.
To use the washing line you attach it to a bracket on a wall, fence or post. When you want to take the washing line down you can just unclip it, leaving the bracket there for when you want to use the washing line again.
Let’s take a look at the washing line’s main pros and cons.
- The line is spring-loaded so no hand winding is required. When you want to pack the washing line away it retracts itself.
- It usually comes with everything you need to set it up (plugs, screws, hooks and pins). It’s also relatively easy to assemble.
- The washing line is easy to tidy away and remove when you don’t need it, freeing up your garden space and protecting the washing line from wear.
- It’s very affordable
- This washing line could be stronger. Some buyers have found that the plastic clips broke after just a few weeks or months of use. It’s worth noting though that most people find it lasts much longer than this.
- It can sag a bit unless you use a pole, especially when drying a heavy load of washing.
There’s a reason the Minky Retractable Washing Line is so popular: it’s a reliable and practical product that offers great value for money. The best thing about it is that, as the name suggests, it retracts, so you don’t have the washing line extended across your garden all the time. It’s easy to set up and easy to tidy away, and is strong enough to hold the average family’s washing.
The main drawback with this washing line is that the plastic clips can break, and it’s unlikely to last forever, especially if you try to load it up with very heavy washing. You can support the washing line with a prop, though technically this isn’t necessary.
Do you need a prop to hold the washing line up?
You can tighten the line and use it without a prop, though you may prefer to use a prop for added support when hanging a heavy load.
How thick is the washing line?
The Minky Retractable Washing Line is roughly 3mm thick.
Can I use just one of the lines in the double (30m) version?
Yes, you can use just one of the lines.
Should I get the 15m or the 30m version?
The 15m version of the washing line has a single line, while the 30m is a double line. The 30m version is therefore stronger, which is good if you want to hang up heavy things like towels. If you only have a small garden and not a huge amount of washing, the 15m version might be enough.
Does the line have to be fully extended?
No, there is a hook for adjusting the length of the line and preventing it from sagging in the middle. This means you can use it even if you don’t have 15m of space.
Does it come with screws and brackets?
The Minky Retractable Washing Line is usually sold with the screws and brackets needed for attaching it to a post, but this may vary from seller to seller.
What can you fix the washing line to?
You could fix the washing line to a wall, fence, post or pretty much anything else strong enough.
Does it tighten itself?
No, you have to wind it around a hook to tighten itself.