Nothing is more annoying than when your dog or cat stains your carpet. It’s hard to remove these unsightly and smelly stains without special tool like a carpet cleaner machine.
If you haven’t bought a carpet cleaner before, here are some tips
- Make sure you read the instructions manual thoroughly before you start using your carpet cleaner. Failure to do this could lead to poor results or a wet carpet.
- Use some purpose-made carpet shampoo rather than a generic cleaning product.
- Move furniture before you start. Get someone to help you with this, and remember to be careful to bend and carry the furniture in the correct way.
- If possible, clean your carpet on a nice day when you can open the windows.
- Carpet cleaning machines are usually very loud and produce an unpleasant high-pitched noise. It’s a good idea to use some ear defenders or ear plugs for protecting your hearing when using a carpet cleaner.
- Remember to clean the tank, filters and brushes after using the machine.
Here are some of the best carpet cleaner machines for removing pet stains and odours currently available in the UK.
Vax VRS5W Rapide Spring Carpet Washer
This carpet cleaner features six high-pressure jets and a lightweight design to make removing pet stains easier and more effective. The powerful spray jets are good at loosening tough dog and cat stains to help restore your carpet to its former glory.
- Comes with Vax AAA Spring Clean Carpet Cleaner Solution
- 9 m power cable
- 24 cm stainless steel cleaning nozzle
- 7 litre dirty water capacity and 2.1 litre clean water capacity
Weight: 5.6 kg
- Wide cleaning nozzle (24 cm), so you can tackle a large area at once
- Relatively light at 5.6 kg, so it’s easy to carry around
- Quick and easy to put together
- Comes with cleaning solution so you can use it straight away
- Cord is a good length and can be easily stowed away
- One of the cheapest carpet cleaning machines available (see price on Amazon)
- Doesn’t come with attachments, so you can’t use it on sofas and other upholstery where pets might create stains
- Produces a very loud, high-pitched noise
- Tanks are quite small and need frequent refilling
- Less powerful than more expensive cleaning machines
The Vax VRS5W Rapide Spring is a good budget-priced carpet cleaner for removing pet stains. It makes the task of cleaning up dog and cat stains much quicker and easier. The main drawback with this machine is the loud, high-pitched noise it produces, but as long as you don’t use it every day this shouldn’t be too much of a problem.
BISSELL Cleanview Proheat Carpet Cleaner
The BISSELL Cleanview Proheat is a high-end carpet cleaner that features a rotating DirtLifter Powerbrush that has six rows of bristles for more effective stain and dirt removal. This carpet cleaner has a removable nozzle so you can use it on sofas, cushions and the stairs as well as on the carpet.
This carpet cleaner uses hot water, which is better at dislodging dirt than cold water.
Weight: 9 kg
- DirtLifter Powerbrush with six rows of bristles
- Removable nozzle for using on upholstery
- Built-in water heater
- Includes a sample bottle of cleaning formula
- Versatile: can be used on carpets, stairs, upholstery and car seats (provided you can get the cable to stretch to the car)
- Comes in three parts and is easy to put together
- Water heater keeps water at the correct temperature
- Clear instructions manual
- Rotating brush is good for removing stains and dirt
- A bit heavy, but not too much.
- Cord storage is quite flimsy
- Tank is quite small and needs to be refilled often
This carpet cleaner is quite expensive (see price on Amazon), but it will pay for itself if you use it regularly. It needs refilling often and you will get through quite a lot of cleaning product. Nevertheless, it does a great job at removing pet stains.
Vax VRS18W Power Max Carpet Washer
The Vax VRS18W Power Max is a fairly cheap carpet washer that is a good size for using around the home.
- 1 litre clean water capacity
- 7 litre dirty water capacity
- 500 Watt motor
- 25cm width for cleaning large areas quickly
- Weight: 5.6 kg
- Comes with Vax AAA cleaning solution
- Integrated brush bar for removing dirt
- Fairly light and easy to move around
- Easy to put together with just three screws
- Makes carpets look refreshed after your pet has an accident
- Doesn’t get the carpet too wet
- Rather noisy, like most carpet cleaning machines
- The tank needs to be emptied frequently if you use it over a large area
- Filter clogs quite often
The Vax VRS18W Power Max is a good buffet carpet cleaner for cleaning up pet stains. It’s not perfect, but it does a good job for the price you pay.
Vax V-124A Dual V Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer
The Vax V-124A Dual V Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer is available in a bundle with AAA+ Pet Carpet Solution.
- SpinScrub technology which provides a better clean by using rotating brushes
- Dual V Technology which helps the carpet dry quicker
- Hose and hand tool for cleaning upholstery
- Five brushes for removing dirt gently
- Easy to fill with solution
- Doesn’t wet the carpet too much
- Easy to set up
- Effective at cleaning stains and refreshing carpets
- Better for general carpet cleaning rather than spot cleaning
- Plastic feels quite cheap
- Uses lots of cleaning solution
This carpet cleaner offers good results, but needs refilling quite often. The Vax 1913270200 AAA+ Pet Solution included in this bundle on Amazon.co.uk neutralises pet odours and is safe on a variety of materials including wool.
BISSELL SpotClean Portable Spot Cleaner
If you’re just cleaning up pet accidents rather than a whole carpet, you might want to look for a spot cleaner like this one from BISSELL. It’s cheaper and smaller than most general-purpose carpet cleaners. This product comes with a sample bottle of Spot and Stain formula. The BISSELL SpotClean Portable Spot Cleaner can be used on rugs, carpets, sofas and other upholstery.
- Uses Heatwave Technology which keeps water at a good temperature for cleaning
- Removable water tanks
- Includes Oxy Gen2 and Spot and Stain Formula
- Weight: 4 kg
- Good at cleaning tough stains including dog/cat stains and coffee marks
- Takes up less space than a regular carpet cleaner
- Easy to set up and straightforward to use, which a clear set of instructions
- Feels tough without being heavy
- Can leak if you’re not careful
- Carpets are a little wet after use
The BISSELL SpotClean Portable Spot Cleaner is a good alternative to a bigger and more expensive carpet cleaner. It’s ideal if you’re going to be using it to clean occasional stains rather than whole carpets.