Vacuuming is simple, isn’t it? Yes and no. While you don’t need to be a genius to use a vacuum cleaner, you can achieve much better results when you really know how to use one properly. Here’s how to vacuum like a pro.
Know your tools
Most vacuum cleaners come with several attachments. They’re all designed for different purposes, and knowing what to use when will really help you do a better job of vacuuming your home.
A good way to go about vacuum cleaning is to use the attachments first before moving furniture out of the way and going over the carpets with the main part of the vacuum cleaner.
- Powerhead: This is the main vacuum cleaner head which is designed for carpets. It uses a spinning brush to pick up hairs and debris from your carpet.
- Crevice tool: As the name suggests, this attachment is great for getting into crevices and hard-to-reach areas. It’s good for cleaning skirting boards and the stairs.
- Upholstery brush: This tool is for vacuuming the sofa, cushions and other upholstery.
- Hard floor brush: A hard floor brush is a bit like a cross a broom. It will protect your hard wood flooring.
- Dusting brush: Dusting brushes are good for picking dust up from things like keyboards and televisions. As the name implies, it saves you having to dust.
The longer you vacuum, the more chance your vacuum cleaner has to clean up all the dust and debris. Going over the room quickly might make it look better, but there will still be a lot of dust left over. The most effective way to vacuum is to slowly and deliberately push the cleaner across the surface you’re cleaning, making sure to go over everything twice and not miss any spots. If you have pets, you will need to spend a bit longer to vacuum up their hairs, unless you have a vacuum cleaner specially designed for dealing with pet hairs like one of these.
Deodorise your carpets
Many people neglect to deodorise their carpets. This is especially important if you have cats or dogs. You can use a special carpet deodoriser or just sprinkle the carpet with bicarbonate of soda, leave it for half an hour and then hoover it up. You can also use a carpet cleaner machine for dealing with tough stains, including pet stains.