Maintaining the charm and elegance of flagstone floors can keep your home looking beautiful. These unique and rustic tiles provide a timeless appeal that suits both traditional and modern interiors.
There are plenty of commercial cleaning products available for flagstones, but some prefer to use natural and eco-friendly alternatives to preserve the integrity of their flagstone floors.
No shock there. Many of us are switching to natural cleaning products nowadays as they provide an exceptionally good clean while being great for the environment.
However, this particular cleaning product is milk. Yes, you read that right – milk! The notion of cleaning flagstone floors with milk might sound unconventional, but this natural method has been used since at least Victorian times due to its remarkable cleaning properties.
In this article, we will delve into the art of cleaning flagstone floors with milk. We’ll explore its benefits, the cleaning process and provide you with essential tips to ensure your flagstone floors remain as stunning as ever.
Oh, and if you’re worried about a stale milk smell, there’s no need; your home will smell as amazing as ever!
Cleaning flagstone floors with milk is a really straightforward process that requires minimal ingredients and effort.
Here’s a list of everything you’ll need, followed by a step-by-step guide to the cleaning process:
Materials You’ll Need
- Fresh milk (preferably whole milk)
- Warm water
- A bucket
- Soft bristle brush or mop
- Clean towels or cloths
- Mild soap (optional)
How to Clean Flagstone Floors with Milk Step by Step
1. Prepare the solution
Start by mixing equal parts of fresh milk and warm water in a bucket. The exact quantity will depend on the size of the area you’re cleaning. For a larger area, you’ll need to mix up more solution.
2. Sweep or vacuum the floor
Before applying the milk solution, make sure the flagstone floor is free of dust, dirt, and debris.
Sweep or vacuum the surface to ensure a clean starting point. Don’t worry if you don’t get all of the dirt up, but sweeping or vacuuming before ensures that the cleaning solution can get right onto the floor and get to work.
3. Apply the milk solution
Dip a soft bristle brush or mop into the milk solution, wring out excess liquid, and gently scrub the flagstone surface.
Work in small sections to prevent the solution from drying before you can clean it off.
If your floor is rather dirty, a soft bristle brush is the best thing to use. This will involve getting down on your hands and knees and putting in some elbow grease, but the results will be worth it. If you clean your flagstones regularly, a mop will work perfectly well.
4. Rinse with warm water
After scrubbing, rinse the floor with clean, warm water to remove any residue from the milk solution.
You can use a separate clean mop or cloth for this step. This step prevents any smells of milk from sticking around and begins to show the natural sheen of the floor starting to emerge.
5. Dry and buff
Use clean towels or cloths to dry the flagstone floor thoroughly. Opening a couple of windows or doors to create a through draft can speed up the drying process.
If desired, you can buff the surface with a dry cloth to bring out its natural shine. Although, the milk does a fantastic job of bringing out the natural sheen of the flagstones anyway.
6. Optional soap treatment
If your flagstone floors are particularly dirty or stained, you can add a few drops of mild soap to the milk solution for extra cleaning power.
However, be cautious with soap, as using too much can leave a residue on the floor.
7. Regular maintenance
To keep your flagstone floors looking their best, clean them regularly using the milk solution. This will prevent dirt buildup and help maintain the natural sheen of the stone.
Tips for Success
- Test in an inconspicuous area: Before cleaning the entire floor, test the milk solution in a small, inconspicuous area to ensure it doesn’t have any adverse effects on the stone or the grout. As milk is a very mild cleaning solution, it should affect any part of the floor negatively, but it is always worth checking beforehand.
- Use whole milk: Whole milk is recommended for its higher fat content, which aids in cleaning and nourishing the stone.
- Avoid excess liquid: While applying the milk solution, ensure you don’t saturate the floor. Excess liquid can seep into the stone and cause damage over time.
- Regular maintenance: Consistent cleaning with the milk cleaning solution will yield the best results. Preventing dirt buildup is key to preserving the floor’s beauty.
The Benefits of Cleaning with Milk
Cleaning flagstone floors with milk might raise eyebrows, but this method boasts several benefits that make it a viable alternative to commercial cleaners, including:
- Gentle yet effective: Milk is a gentle cleaner that won’t damage or strip away the natural beauty of your flagstone floors. It’s perfect for delicate surfaces that require a tender touch.
- Natural ingredients: Using milk means you’re avoiding harsh chemicals that can be harmful to both your floors and the environment. If you’re looking for a natural replacement, it was in your fridge this entire time!
- Nourishing: Milk contains fats and proteins that can nourish and restore the lustre of your flagstone floors, enhancing their overall appearance. With very little effort, your floors will look better than ever.
- Safe for children and pets: Milk is non-toxic, making it a safe choice for households with children and pets who frequently step, play, run, jump and skip on the floor.
- Cost-effective: Milk is a household staple, making this cleaning method budget-friendly and easily accessible.
Flagstone floors are a testament to durability and aesthetics, and keeping them clean is a responsibility that comes with their unique charm.
While unconventional, cleaning flagstone floors with milk is an eco-friendly, cost-effective, and surprisingly effective method that has stood the test of time.
By following the simple steps and tips outlined in this article, you can maintain the elegance of your flagstone floors for years to come, all while embracing a natural and gentle approach to cleaning.
Fancy learning a few other strange but effective cleaning tips and tricks while you’re here? Explore In The Wash further. We have cleaning tips that will blow you and your stains away!
In The Wash is your guide to the best laundry and cleaning products, tips and tricks. Our mission is to solve the UK’s cleaning and laundry dilemmas!