We all love it when our clothes have a fresh and long-lasting fragrance. There are different ways to achieve that result, but most methods include chemicals that might damage your clothes. One natural way to add fragrance to your laundry is by using essential oils.
Essential oils are pure oils extracted from different types of plants. The oil is extracted through cold pressing or distillation, leaving pure and concentrated oils.
However, many people may wonder how safe it is to add essential oils to their washing machines.
Is it Safe to Put Essential Oils in the Washing Machine?
One of the main concerns people have with using essential oils in washing machines is that they might cause fires. Depending on the type of essential oil, the flashpoint can vary from 37 to 102 Celsius.
Despite the fact that essential oils are flammable, since you are adding them to a washing machine full of water, they are not likely to catch fire.
Because of their flammable properties, you should never add essential oils directly into your dryer.
Another concern is that they may ruin your clothes by leaving stains and patches. However, if you use pure essential oils, there is no chance of getting any stains on your clothes.
How to Add Essential Oils to the Washing Machine Safely
There are two main ways you can add essential oils to your washing machine. The first and simplest method is to add a few drops into the washing machine before starting it.
The amount of essential oil you add to the washing machine depends on the number of clothes you are washing. However, it is best to start with a small amount and add more next time if necessary. The water and movement of the washing machine will dilute the essential oils and ensure that they get to all your clothes evenly.
The other method is mixing it with your laundry detergent. It is best to use an unscented laundry detergent for this method to ensure that you get the fragrance you are going for. You can add a few drops of your essential oil into the bottle of laundry detergent.
Alternatively, you can add the essential oil to the fabric softener compartment of your washing machine with a bit of water. To make a DIY fabric softener using essential oils, you can mix around 20 to 30 drops of the essential oil into a gallon (4.5 litres) of white vinegar.
After shaking and mixing it, you can add some of the mixture to the rinse cycle.
The Best Essential Oils to Add to the Washing Machine
There are lots of essential oils to choose from. Besides adding fragrance to your laundry, they have other added benefits. Some of the best essential oils to add to your washing machine include the following.
- Lavender – This is one of the most popular essential oils for using in laundry, and many companies add it to their cleaning products. Apart from its relaxing smell, it is also an excellent natural antibacterial.
- Spearmint and peppermint – These have antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that help in disinfecting your clothes.
- Rosemary – Rosemary has anti-fungal properties, which works best in disinfecting clothes if you have a fungal infection like athlete’s foot. It also helps improve your immune system.
- Tea tree – Tea tree has strong antibacterial properties and naturally helps fight viruses and germs. You can also use it to clean any clothes or fabrics that have mould.
- Lemon – This is a perfect natural anti-bacterial and antiviral. It is also energising and helps increase clear thinking.
- Eucalyptus – This is a natural germ fighter, and you can use it to clean clothes used by someone with a cold or flu.
- Red Mandarin – This essential oil has a fruity, sweet and uplifting scent, perfect for relieving stress, fatigue, moodiness and anxiety.
- Thyme – Has strong germ-fighting properties.
- Oregano – This is a strong, natural disinfectant that helps boost the immune system.
- Geranium – This essential oil has a sweet floral scent, and it also helps to make you feel calm and uplifted.
While you can use these essential oils separately, you can mix several of them to create a unique fragrance. When mixing oils, you should be careful about the different flashpoints.
In The Wash is your guide to the best laundry and cleaning products, tips and tricks. Our mission is to solve the UK’s cleaning and laundry dilemmas!