Hygrometers measure the level of moisture in the air. Hygrometers help you keep track of the humidity level in your home, which is useful if you are trying to reduce or prevent mould and damp. They’re very useful gadgets to have whether you live in a damp home yourself or want to check that a property you are letting will be comfortable and healthy for your tenants.
Too much humidity can cause damage to furniture, encourage mould to grow and lead to health problems. With a good indoor hygrometer you can check the relative humidity level to make sure it’s at a safe level, or check that your dehumidifier is working properly.
A healthy humidity level in the UK is about 50-55%. Several of the hygrometers reviewed here show a smiley face when the humidity is at a safe level.
Let’s take a look at some of the best home hygrometers you can get in the UK.
TFA 30.5026.01 Moxx Digital Thermo-Hygrometer
The TFA 30.5026.01 is a small digital thermometer and hygrometer which can be mounted on the wall or positioned on a table.
- Temperature range of 0 to 50°C (choice of Celsius or Fahrenheit mode)
- Humidity range of 20-99%
- CR2032 battery included
- Smiley face icon appears when the humidity is at a healthy level
Dimensions: 5.7 x 1.3 x 6.9 cm
- Good battery life (6 months+)
- Small and fits in the palm of your hand
- Clear LCD screen that you can read even when standing metres away
- Quickly adjusts the temperature and humidity readings
- Stand provided is sturdy
- Looks nice
- Not always completely accurate
The TFA 30.5026.01 is one of the best value hygrometers you can get for using in the home. It’s affordable (see price on Amazon), and generally delivers great results, even if it’s not always 100% accurate.
Amir LCD Digital Temperature Humidity Meter
The Amir LCD Digital Temperature Humidity Meter is a basic indoor temperature and humidity monitor. It has a sleek black design and is made of plastic with rubber buttons.
Features and specifications
- 0 to 50°C temperature range, accurate to ± 1°C (choice of Celsius or Fahrenheit mode)
- Humidity range of 10-99%RH, accurate to ±5%RH
- Battery powered using a 5V LR1130 battery (included)
Weight: 9 g
Dimensions: 8 x 5 x 1.5 cm
- Large and easy-to-read LCD display
- Small and easy to take with you if you need to check the humidity in a different property
- Feels quite cheap and flimsy
- Battery only lasts a month or two, and is quite expensive to replace
This product is cheap and cheerful, and gets the job done. It’s not the highest quality hygrometer you can buy, but it’s a decent basic humidity monitor.
ThermoPro TP50 Digital Thermo-hygrometer
The ThermoPro TP50 is an indoor/outdoor hygrometer with a thermometer with a comfort level that shows whether the humidity levels are too high, too low or ideal, with a smiley face to show when the humidity level is ideal.
- Takes one AAA battery (included)
- Fold-out stand and magnet for attaching it to a fridge door
- Temperature range from -50°C to 70°C with an accuracy of ±1°C (both Celsius and Fahrenheit modes available)
- Humidity range of 10% to 99% RH
Weight: 82 g
Dimensions: 7.9 x 2.1 x 6.7 cm
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors
- Large temperature and humidity ranges
- Shows the minimum and maximum measurements taken over the day
- Small and compact
- No reset button, which would be useful if you wanted to check different rooms quickly
- Magnet isn’t very powerful so it might slide down a fridge door if you use the magnet to position it there
The ThermoPro TP50 is a very well made product. One of its best features is the min/max feature which shows the highest and lowest humidity and temperature levels recorded over the day, which is useful as these levels fluctuate so you might not realise how high the humidity gets at particular times.
TFA Indoor Digital Thermo Hygrometer
The TFA Indoor Digital Thermo Hygrometer lets you measure temperatures in both Celsius and Fahrenheit as well as relative humidity (RH).
- Celsius and Fahrenheit modes
- Takes one 1.5 V AAA (included)
- Temperature range from -10 to +70°C
- Humidity range from 20% to 99%
Dimensions: 13.3 x 9 x 1 cm
- Shows both current and minimum/maximum temperature and humidity levels over the last 24 hours
- Uses a single AAA battery, which can be cheaply replaced
- Gives accurate humidity readings
- Nice, clear display
- Relatively expensive
The TFA Indoor Digital Thermo Hygrometer is great at measuring humidity and condensation levels. If you test it against another hygrometer you should find it to be very accurate.
Healthy Living Thermometer & Hygrometer
This hygrometer has a colour-coded display showing whether your home is too dry, too wet or at an ideal ‘comfort’ level. It measures the temperature in both Fahrenheit and Celsius and displays the relative humidity as a percentage.
- Switch for changing between Celsius and Fahrenheit
- Digital display showing temperature and humidity levels
- Dial that clearly shows when the humidity is too high
- Foldaway stand
- Slot for attaching the hygrometer to a wall
Weight: 159 g
Dimensions: 13.4 x 10.6 x 2.6 cm
- Clear display with both an exact humidity reading and a dial to show when it’s at the right level
- Straightforward and easy to use
- Generally accurate
- It would be good if the hygrometer had a clock so you could see the time while checking the humidity
- Doesn’t automatically reset the minimum and maximum readings
The Healthy Living Thermometer & Hygrometer is a useful product that will give you a clear indication of whether or not your property is too damp. It lacks some useful features such as a clock, but the display is useful with its combination of a digital display and a dial.