Last updated: February 16th, 2017
Don’t you hate it when your favourite jumper gets bobbles on it? The bobbles quickly make your outfits look old and worn out, even if you’ve only worn the clothes a couple of times. It’s very annoying, right?
And have you ever sat down with a pair of scissors in your hand trying to get rid of the fuzz, bobbles, and fluff from your favourite sweater? You might have tried this before, especially if the bobbles show up on that shirt that you love so much.
The good news is you can restore your garments to their former glory with any of the great fabric shavers reviewed in this article. If you’ve never bought a fabric shaver below, take a look at our buying guide below. If you’re ready to skip to the reviews, click on the link below to see our reviews of the best fabric shavers available in the UK in 2017.
Fabric Shaver Buying Guide
What are fabric shavers?
Fabric shavers are small gadgets used for removing bobbles (pilling) from clothes, furniture and upholstery. They are usually handheld electric devices that you run over your sweater or other item of clothing and remove the bobbles. Fabric shavers are a bit like electric shavers, though they have a rotating round head with a spinning blade and a guard to protect the fabric.
Fabric shavers usually work by directing fuzz balls, or lint into a compartment which can then be emptied later.
The fabric shaver is often referred to by other names including lint remover, sweater shaver, lint shaver, defuzzer, debobbler, bobble shaver and bobble remover.
Fabric shavers have several uses:
- Removing bobbles and pilling from clothes, especially sweaters and woolly jumpers
- Removing fuzz balls from sofas
Why buy a fabric shaver?
A lot of people assume that once an item of clothing starts collecting bobbles, it’s had it. That simply isn’t true—with a fabric shaver you can make it look just like it did the day you bought it. Fabric shavers are therefore a great way to keep your clothes looking fresh and stop them getting that worn out look.
Fabric shavers are especially useful if you own a lot of woollen clothing, as wool tends to collect lint balls much more than other kinds of fabric.
What kinds of fabric shavers are available?
Some fabric shavers are more powerful than others. A heavy-duty fabric shaver is better for tough fabrics, whereas a less aggressive fabric shaver is better for delicate clothing.
What should you look for in a fabric shaver?
The kinds of features your ideal fabric shaver will have depends a lot on what you will be using the fabric shaver for. Here are some things to consider:
- Large pill cup: If you’re going to be running the fabric shaver over a large settee or using it on a lot of clothes, you should look for one with a large pill cup, as this means you won’t need to empty it so often.
- Doesn’t damage clothes: This seems obvious, but you want to make sure you get a lint remover that has been tried and tested and won’t damage your clothes.
- Safety guard: If you have children, you will want to be extra careful about the kind of fabric shaver you choose. Look for one with an automatic safety protection feature, or a well designed safety guard if you have kids.
- Rotations per minute: Lint removers with a higher the number of rotations per minute will be able to remove bobbles quicker than those with a lower number of rotations.
- Battery-operated: This is especially important if you want to take your lint remover with you while travelling.
- Adjustable distance control: Some fabric shavers allow you to adjust the blade’s distance from the fabric. Shavers with this feature are more versatile and can be used on different kinds of fabrics with better accuracy.
- Ergonomic grip: Many fabric shavers are designed with a non-slip, ergonomic handle. This is a good feature to have as it gives you more control over the fabric shaver.
Where can you buy fabric shavers?
One of the best places to buy fabric shavers is Amazon.co.uk, where you can find all of the bobble removers reviewed below. You can also buy fabric shavers in John Lewis, Tesco and Argos, or on Ebay.
Fabric Shaver Reviews
Our top 3 favourite fabric shavers
Our favourite lint remover in 2017
|Philips GC026/30 Fabric Shaver
One of the best lint removers for clothes in the market today.
|AVANTEK LR-1 Lint Shaver
A very effective gadget for removing lint and bobbles.
Our number 3
|Y-H Rechargeable Lint Fabric Shaver
Rechargeable, so you don’t need to buy batteries.
Philips GC026/30 Fabric Shaver
This is one of the best fabric shavers for clothes in the market today. It’s a battery-powered appliance designed specifically for shaving clothes. It comes with two long-lasting batteries and a user manual that will guide you on how best to use it.
The Philips GC026/30 Fabric Shaver is very easy to use. Even if you’ve never used a lint remover before, it doesn’t take much time to learn how to use it.
One of the features that helped the Philips GC026 fabric shaver make it to our list of the best lint removers for clothes is that it’s designed to handle clothes of various types of materials with different degrees of bobbling on them without causing any damage to the garments. In other words, you can adjust this lint remover to suit the material your item of clothing is made from including cotton, nylon, synthetic materials, etc.
The Philips GC026/30 is designed with a large blade face for effective and fast handling of clothes. An adjustable cap is also integrated into this lint remover to handle fragile outfits.
The shaving head has three different sizes of holes to deal with the various sizes of bobbles on garments. The lint container in which bobbles are stored after being removed from clothes is easy to remove and empty. For cleaning, a useful brush is included in the package.
- Takes 2 x AA batteries
- 3 hole sizes and adjustable height for tackling different jobs
- Comes with a user manual
- Cleaning brush included
- Rotation speed of 8800 p/m
- Simple and easy to use
- Sold with batteries included
- Good value for money
- Safe to use
- Not much suction for pulling bobbles towards the machine
Buy online: £14.47 on Amazon.co.uk
AVANTEK LR-1 Lint Shaver
This is another incredible lint remover with the capacity to make garments look new again. The Avantek LR-1 is a battery-powered fabric shaver with two AA batteries included in the package. Once the batteries are inserted correctly in the machine, it’s ready to be used. Simply turn on the switch on the device and it will be ready to get rid of all the bobbles from your clothes.
A mesh cover is positioned over the blade to prevent this appliance from damaging your clothes. It sucks up bobbles through the mesh rather than using exposed blades, so it’s safe to use. When in use, the blade rotates at different angles and picks up and shaves bobbles from your clothes. The removed bobbles are stored under the machine in a little container.
This lint remover comes with a mesh cover that looks like honeycomb. Various sizes of holes are created on the cover to handle different sizes of lint on your clothes. The surface of this machine is well polished to prevent it from causing damage to your garments.
The Avantek LR-1 is made of three alloy blades that are extremely sharp, strong, and resistant to rust. The blades are durable and remove irritating fluff effortlessly.
This device not only removes lint, it also gets rid of bobbles that cannot be seen with the naked eye. You won’t believe this until you open the container where the removed lint is stored and see how much it’s picked up.
The device stops working automatically when the blade cover is loosened or opened. This feature helps prevent children from being injured accidentally, so you have nothing to worry about when the kids try to use it on their clothes.
- 3 sharp alloy blades
- Mesh cover to protect you and your clothes from the blade
- Safety lock that automatically stops the blade if the cover is loosened or opened
Dimensions: Approximately 13 cm long x 6 cm wide x 7 cm high
- Very affordable
- Batteries are included
- Strong suction for sucking up lint and fluff
- Very easy to use
- Sometimes the battery compartment becomes loose
Buy online: £9.99 on Amazon.co.uk
Y-H Rechargeable Lint Fabric Shaver
Unlike the above two lint removers for clothes that are powered by two removable batteries, the Y-H Rechargeable Lint Fabric Shaver is a rechargeable device. In other words, it has an internal battery and must be charged for a little while before it can be used.
It takes about 8-10 hours for the built-in battery to fully charge. Once it’s fully charged, it can work for several days before the battery gets low again. This is very convenient if you’re travelling and are worried about running out of batteries.
This lint remover is very easy to use. Simply run the shave head on your chosen item of clothing and it will gently get rid of lint and bobbles, including invisible ones, and store them inside the chamber located under the blade. When done effectively, it will make your clothes look new again just like the first time you bought them. It’s an amazing lint remover.
It works so well that you’ll be tempted to search your wardrobe for garments with lint and bobbles on them. Another valuable thing about this device is that it comes with an extra set of blades that will serve as a backup.
One caution though. The blade that comes with this machine is super sharp and potentially dangerous. For this reason, it will be safe to keep it away from the reach of children or your pets. Additionally, to prevent this device from damaging your clothes, ensure that the grill cover is well secured before you turn it on. Otherwise, it may injure you or wreak havoc on the clothes.
As well as clothes, this fabric shaver also works well on carpets, upholstery, carpets and other fabrics. It’s not suitable for delicate fabrics like wool, silk and cashmere, or fabrics with long fibres like mohair.
- Rechargeable internal battery
- Spare set of blades included
- Stainless steel mesh grill
- 4W power output
- Quick and powerful
- No need to worry about buying batteries thanks to the internal rechargeable battery
- Comes with an extra set of blades as a backup
- Very sharp and potentially dangerous—take extra care if you have children or pets
- Battery takes a long time to charge (8-10 hours)
- Looks a bit plasticky
Buy online: £7.88 on Amazon.co.uk
Minky Bobble Remover
Small, light and cheap, the Minky Bobble Remover is one of the UK’s most popular fabric shavers at the time of writing. You can adjust the height to choose from three settings: low, medium and high. This allows you to tackle all kinds of clothes as well as carpets and upholstery.
The Minky is generally a very good bobble remover for the price, but it’s quite slow and is only really suited to garments with a limited amount of pilling. You might need something more powerful for tougher jobs.
- Guard to protect the fabric
- Generally very safe
- Takes 2 x AA batteries
Dimensions: 16 x 6 x 10 cm
- Comfortable handle
- Easy to use
- Can be quite slow. You can’t just skim it over your clothes. Instead you often need to hold it in one place for a while to get the job done.
- Can’t tackle tough bobbles
Buy online: £5.39 on Amazon.co.uk
Trisonic Portable Fabric Fuzz Remover
The Trisonic TS-3109 bobble remover is one of the cheapest you can buy in the UK. Given its low price, you might expect it to be a poor-performing device that would be unable to handle your clothes. It’s true that this fabric shaver can’t compete with higher-priced products like the Philips GC026/30 reviewed above. However, if you want something cheap to use occasionally, it gets the job done.
This fabric shaver takes two batteries which aren’t included (unsurprisingly given its price). This product feels quite cheap and flimsy, and we’re not sure how it would hold up with regular use. It’s only really recommended if you’re looking for something as cheap as possible.
- Stainless steel blade cover
- Takes 2 x AA batteries (not included)
Dimensions: 17.3 high x 11.9 cm deep x 3.3 cm wide
- Small and light
- Very cheap
- Straightforward and easy to use
- Not as effective as more expensive garment shavers
- Feels cheaply made; unlikely to last a long time
- Batteries aren’t included
Buy online: £3.90 on Amazon.co.uk
Singer BSM 203 Fabric Shaver
This is a great product by Singer, one of the leading manufacturers of home utility machines including lint removers for clothes. The Singer BSM 203 Fabric Shaver is one of the most popular lint removers in the UK today.
This lint remover is strong and powerful. It uses two C batteries that can last for a long time. Unfortunately, it does not come with batteries included like the first two devices on this list. C batteries are also more expensive and less common than the A batteries used by most fabric shavers reviewed here.
You can use this machine without much effort. Simply run it gently over your clothes, and it will get rid of all the lint, bobbles, fuzz, and make your clothes look new again. It’s a bit bigger than most of the fabric shavers reviewed here, and is roughly the size of a small iron. That means it has a good-sized reservoir for storing lint, so you can use it for longer without needing to empty it.
One of the best things about the Singer BSM 203 Fabric Shaver is that the cutting height can be adjusted to suit the type of material of your garments, including sweaters, bed sheets, cushion for furniture, carpets and delicate fabrics. And it gets the job done very quickly without the batteries running down.
- Ergonomic handle
- 3 blade height settings
- Stainless steel rotary blade
- Safety auto shut-off feature
Dimensions: 16.4 x 15.6 x 8.8 cm
- Effective at removing bobbles on all kinds of fabrics
- Feels tough and well made (Singer are a respected brand)
- Adjustable cutting height
- English instructions aren’t included (though it’s simple and easy to use)
Buy online: £16.98 on Amazon.co.uk
There you have it, our list of the top lint removers for clothes. We hope you found this article useful in your search for the perfect lint remover!