Hygrometers measure the level of moisture in the air. They help you keep track of the humidity level in your home, which is useful if you are trying to reduce or prevent mould and damp. They’re very useful gadgets to have whether you live in a damp home yourself or want to check that a property you are letting will be comfortable and healthy for your tenants.
Too much humidity can cause damage to furniture, encourage mould to grow and lead to health problems. Too little humidity can be a problem too, as dry air can lead to dry skin and chapped lips.
With a good indoor hygrometer you can check the relative humidity level to make sure it’s at a safe level, or check that your dehumidifier or humidifier is working properly. If you’re a cigar aficionado, you can place a small hygrometer inside your humidor to make sure that it has the correct humidity.
A healthy humidity level in the UK is about 50-55% relative humidity (RH). Several of the hygrometers reviewed here show a smiley face when the humidity is at this level. The inexpensive home hygrometers reviewed below are rarely 100% accurate, but they should be accurate enough to make sure your home is neither too humid nor too dry.
Let’s take a look at some of the best home hygrometers you can get in the UK in 2017.
- 1. ThermoPro TP55 Digital Thermo-hygrometer
- 2. Healthy Living Thermometer & Hygrometer
- 3. Amir LCD Digital Temperature Humidity Meter
- 4. HoLife Indoor Digital Wireless Hygrometer
- 5. Inkbird Dc 3V Input Digital Hygrometer
- 6. ThermoPro TP50 Digital Thermo-hygrometer
- 7. TFA 30.5026.01 Moxx Digital Thermo-Hygrometer
1. ThermoPro TP55 Digital Thermo-hygrometer
The ThermoPro TP55 is one of the most popular home hygrometers in the UK. It has a large LCD screen that displays a lot of information about both the humidity and temperature in your home. The screen also has an icon that shows if the humidity is too low, too high or ideal.
- 4-inch backlit LCD display (backlight stays on for a few seconds after the button is pressed)
- Measures temperatures from -50 to 70 °C and humidity from 10 to 99% RH
- Celsius and Fahrenheit modes
- Stores maximum and minimum humidity and temperature readings from the past 24 hours or all time (you can switch between 24 hrs and All Time modes)
- Refreshes reading every 10 seconds
- Takes 2 AAA batteries (included)
Dimensions: 11 x 8.5 x 2.4 cm
Weight: 145 g
- Good value for money
- Batteries last a long time
- Large, easy to read screen showing lots of information
- Temperature reading is very accurate
- Easy to use
- Humidity readings aren’t always 100% accurate
This hygrometer is affordable, easy to use and very smartly designed. It has a big screen that shows all the humidity and temperature information you’re likely to need, making it our number 1 pick right now.
2. Healthy Living Thermometer & Hygrometer
This hygrometer has a colour-coded display showing whether your home is too dry, too wet or at an ideal ‘comfort’ level. It measures the temperature in both Fahrenheit and Celsius and displays the relative humidity as a percentage.
- Switch for changing between Celsius and Fahrenheit
- Digital display showing temperature and humidity levels
- Dial that clearly shows when the humidity is too high
- Foldaway stand
- Slot for attaching the hygrometer to a wall
Dimensions: 13.4 x 10.6 x 2.6 cm
Weight: 159 g
- Clear display with both an exact humidity reading and a dial to show when it’s at the right level
- Straightforward and easy to use
- Generally accurate
- It would be good if the hygrometer had a clock so you could see the time while checking the humidity
- Doesn’t automatically reset the minimum and maximum readings
The Healthy Living Thermometer & Hygrometer is a useful product that will give you a clear indication of whether or not your property is too damp. It lacks some useful features such as a clock, but the display is useful with its combination of a digital display and a dial.
3. Amir LCD Digital Temperature Humidity Meter
The Amir LCD Digital Temperature Humidity Meter is a basic indoor temperature and humidity monitor that shows the temperature in either Celsius or Fahrenheit. It has a sleek black design and is made of plastic with rubber buttons.
Features and specifications
- 0 to 50°C temperature range, accurate to ± 1°C (choice of Celsius or Fahrenheit mode)
- Humidity range of 10-99%RH, accurate to ±5%RH
- Battery powered using a 1.5V LR1130 battery (included)
Dimensions: 8.8 x 4.8 x 1 cm
- Large and easy-to-read LCD display
- Small and easy to take with you if you need to check the humidity in a different property
- Feels quite cheap and flimsy—might not last very long
- Battery only lasts a month or two, and is quite expensive to replace
This product is cheap and cheerful, and gets the job done. It’s not the highest quality hygrometer you can buy, but it’s a decent basic humidity monitor that offers great value for money.
4. HoLife Indoor Digital Wireless Hygrometer
The HoLife Indoor Digital Wireless Hygrometer is an inexpensive hygrometer with a no-nonsense black design. The 3.2-inch LCD screen shows the current humidity and temperature levels as well as the minimum and maximum readings over the past 24 hours.
- Shows temperature in either Celsius or Fahrenheit
- OK, WET or DRY is displayed to show whether your home is at the right humidity or not
- Takes 2 AAA batteries (not included)
- Cover that folds down to act as a stand
Dimensions: 10 x 8.5 x 3 cm
Weight: 100 g
- Simple to use
- Easy to read
- No batteries included
The HoLife Indoor Digital Wireless Hygrometer is a reliable hygrometer that offers accurate enough reading for non-professional use. You’ll need to have some AAA batteries on hand though as the hygrometer doesn’t come with any included.
5. Inkbird Dc 3V Input Digital Hygrometer
This hygrometer from Inkbird is designed to be used in cigar humidor boxes. It’s very small and thin so it will easily fit inside a humidor, and displays both the temperature and relative humidity. As well as humidors, you can also use it in other small spaces such as guitar cases.
- Choice of showing temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit
- Measures humidity from 30-90% RH
- Uses a 3V CR2032 button battery
Dimensions: 10.4 x 3.6 x 1.6 cm
- Good value for money
- Very small and compact
- Isn’t always accurate (you can test it with a Boveda Hygrometer Calibration Kit)
The Inkbird Dc 3V Input Digital Hygrometer offers great value for money and is a good choice for a humidor or a guitar case. The accuracy can vary, so you might want to test it with a calibration kit or compare it to another hygrometer.
6. ThermoPro TP50 Digital Thermo-hygrometer
The ThermoPro TP50 is an indoor/outdoor hygrometer with a thermometer with a comfort level that shows whether the humidity levels are too high, too low or ideal, with a smiley face to show when the humidity level is ideal.
- Takes one AAA battery (included)
- Fold-out stand and magnet for attaching it to a fridge door
- Temperature range from -50°C to 70°C with an accuracy of ±1°C (both Celsius and Fahrenheit modes available)
- Humidity range of 10% to 99% RH
Weight: 82 g
Dimensions: 7.9 x 2.1 x 6.7 cm
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors
- Large temperature and humidity ranges
- Shows the minimum and maximum measurements taken over the day
- Small and compact
- No reset button, which would be useful if you wanted to check different rooms quickly
- Magnet isn’t very powerful so it might slide down a fridge door if you use the magnet to position it there
The ThermoPro TP50 is a very well made product. One of its best features is the min/max feature which shows the highest and lowest humidity and temperature levels recorded over the day, which is useful as these levels fluctuate so you might not realise how high the humidity gets at particular times.
7. TFA 30.5026.01 Moxx Digital Thermo-Hygrometer
- Temperature range of 0 to 50°C (choice of Celsius or Fahrenheit mode)
- Humidity range of 20-99%
- CR2032 battery included
- Smiley face icon appears when the humidity is at a healthy level
Dimensions: 5.7 x 1.3 x 6.9 cm
Weight: 70 g
- Good battery life (6 months+)
- Small and fits in the palm of your hand
- Clear LCD screen that you can read even when standing metres away
- Quickly adjusts the temperature and humidity readings
- Stand provided is sturdy
- Looks nice
- Not always completely accurate
The TFA 30.5026.01 is one of the best value hygrometers you can get for using in the home. It’s affordable and generally delivers great results, even if it’s not always 100% accurate.