Faux leather is a plastic-based material and a cheaper, arguably more ethical, option to real leather.
It’s also far easier to maintain, which is always a win!
Ideally, we’d rather not have biro ending up on our sofa, but these things happen. And, if it does, here is what you need to do!
It’s better to get to work on the stain ASAP before allowing it to dry. Don’t worry if you can’t clean it before it dries though.
There are four main cleaning methods to opt for when removing biro from faux leather: Washing up liquid, hairspray, white vinegar, and household cleaning products.
We’ll start with washing up liquid!
Washing Up Liquid
- Dampen a soft clean cloth with warm water
- Squeeze 2 or 3 drops of washing up liquid onto the cloth
- Dab/lightly rub the stain (you don’t want to smear biro all over the leather!) starting from the outside and going towards the centre of the stain
- Rinse the cloth
- Repeat steps 1 to 4 until the stain has gone
- Wipe any soap or anything else that has been leftover away
- Spritz hairspray onto a clean cloth and gently dab the stain in a circular motion
- Dampen a clean cloth with warm water
- Lightly wipe away any residue
- In a small bowl, mix white vinegar with warm water (in equal parts)
- Get yourself a clean cloth and dip it into your homemade solution
- Gently rub the stain in a circular motion, starting from the outside and working inwards
- Rinse the cloth and repeat if necessary
Household Cleaning Products
- Use a paper towel to wipe up any excess ink, depending upon how much has been split
- Choose a small area of faux leather that typically isn’t visible and do a spot check to ensure the product won’t damage the material
- Spray a leather cleaner onto the stain (follow the product instructions)
- Wipe away with a clean damp cloth
Important Points to Remember
- Remove the stain asap!
- Always spot test before getting to work on the stain!
- Rub the stain lightly!
Four super easy options—take your pick! Luckily less of a drama than you thought!
Hi, I’m Bron. I’m an elite endurance athlete, love the outdoors and anything involving food! All of which have the potential to make a mess! I don’t have a huge concentration span (and like to use the excuse of being too busy), so go for quick and easy cleaning methods where possible!