If you’ve just completed a trek across some muddy fields, up some dusty cliffs and through some bubbling brooks your Sealskinz socks will undoubtedly need a clean!
And rightly so! They’ve kept your feet nice and warm along the way, and more importantly dry. So, it’s now time to wash them, so that you and them are ready to go on your next big adventure.
But how do you wash socks that are waterproof… surely they can’t be cleaned if they resist water? Interestingly, they can be cleaned with water, and you can find out how to wash Sealskinz socks by reading on.
How to Wash Sealskinz Socks
There is some debate about whether or not you should wash your Sealskinz socks by hand or in the washing machine. Some people like the ease of washing them in a washing machine with other laundry, and other wearers prefer to care for their socks in a more delicate manner.
Given the fact that these socks are not the cheapest, I’ll let you decide which method to go with. Below you’ll find a guide for both options.
Note: It does state on the Sealskinz’s website that you can wash their waterproof socks in the washing machine, so if you’re pressed for time this is an alternative! However, you should always check each individual item’s instructions before starting the cleaning process.
Option 1: Wash your Sealskinz socks in the washing machine
What you need:
- Washing machine
- Water temperature of 40℃ or less
- Sealskinz socks
Steps to follow:
- Go to your washing machine and set up a delicate or a wool wash cycle.
- The temperature of your washing machine should be set for 40℃ or less.
- Grab your Sealskinz socks, turn them inside out and put them in the washing machine.
- You can use a detergent of your choosing.
- Pop the wash to go.
- Remove the socks and follow the drying steps in the section below.
Option 2: Wash your Sealskinz socks by hand
What you need:
- Hot water (a temperature below 40℃)
- Detergent (delicate/wool detergent)
- Sealskinz socks
Steps to follow:
- Put some gloves on.
- Pop some hot water into a big bowl. The water should not be above 40℃ and in most cases, lukewarm water is just as effective.
- Turn your Sealskinz socks inside out.
- Add some detergent to the water. A delicate or wool clothing cleaner would be great. Follow the measurement instructions on the pack, so you don’t go overboard with the product!
- Pop the socks into the water.
- Agitate the socks when they’re in the water to clean them.
- Continue to do this for about 10 minutes.
- Wash excess soap off the socks. Use lukewarm water from the tap to do this.
- Dry your Sealskinz socks as per the drying instructions below.
Drying Your Sealskinz Socks
Drying your Sealskinz socks in the right way is equally important as washing them in the correct manner!
When your socks have been washed, either in the washing machine or by hand, hold them up and allow any excess water to flow out of them. But don’t squeeze them to get water out of them. Then simply put your Sealskinz’s out on the line to air dry naturally.
Hanging them up indoors will also work. But avoid popping them on the radiator to try because this may impact the waterproof layering in the socks.
Tumble drying your Sealskinz socks should only be used as a last resort, because the heat from the machine will likely damage the waterproof membrane that’s in the sock itself. This may then make the sock a little leaky.
Always Follow These Tips When Washing and Drying Your Sealskinz Socks
Keep these essential points in mind when washing and maintaining your Sealskinz socks:
- Read the clothing label on your socks/box, so you know how to care for them properly.
- Wash socks in water that is not hotter than 40℃.
- Air dry your Sealskinz socks.
- If tumble drying is absolutely necessary, set your tumble dryer up to do a low heat cycle to dry your Sealskinz socks.
- Wash your Sealskinz socks inside out.
Things to Avoid When Washing Your Sealskinz Socks
Here are a few things to avoid doing when cleaning your Sealskinz socks:
- Don’t wring water out of your Sealskinz socks, if you choose to hand wash them.
- Don’t iron your Sealskinz socks because this may damage the waterproof membrane.
- Don’t bleach your Sealskinz socks as this will damage the waterproof coating and will change the colour of your socks.
- Don’t dry clean your Sealskinz socks.
- Avoid tumble drying your Sealskinz socks unless it’s absolutely essential. The intense heat may damage the waterproof layer on your socks.
- Avoid walking around the house/outdoors in just your Sealskinz socks as this may damage the sock and the waterproof membrane.
How to Keep Your Sealskinz Socks in Great Condition
Below are some tips to help keep your Sealskinz socks in tip-top form!
- Make sure you check your shoes before slipping them on, there may be sharp objects/stones inside that can damage your Sealskinz socks.
- Always wear shoes with your Sealskinz socks, so that no damage can come to them (you don’t want to catch and rip your socks on some stones that are on the path outside, for example).
- Keep your toenails short, so you don’t rip the front of the socks.
- Keep your Sealskinz socks clean.
- Pop your Sealskinz socks away when you’re not wearing them, this will prevent them from getting dirty or damaged.
Bethan has a passion for exploring, reading, cooking and gardening! When she’s not creating culinary delights for her family, she’s concocting potions to keep her house clean!