With their soft and plush texture, fuzzy socks are a great accompaniment to a cold winter’s day. Unfortunately, they’re known to lose some of their fluff when put through the wash.
Although they’re still wearable in this state, it doesn’t give the same effect and causes them to look a bit worse for wear.
So what can you do? Well, while never cleaning your fuzzy socks is not an option, there are ways to change your washing method to increase the chances of your socks maintaining their softness!
In this comprehensive guide, you’ll learn how to wash fuzzy socks effectively to ensure they stay fresh and look and feel their best for longer.
Read on for instructions on sorting and preparing your socks for washing, the best cleaning methods, and prolonging their lifespan. Let’s get started!
Sorting and Preparing Your Fuzzy Socks for Washing
Before you start washing your fuzzy socks, it’s important that you sort them according to their colour and fabric type.
This will help prevent dye transfer in the wash and ensures that you can alter the washing technique used according to the kind of care each material needs.
Unfortunately, most socks will not come with a care label inside. Specific washing instructions may be included on the original packaging of the socks, but if you’re unsure, it’s best to simply stick with a gentle washing method such as those laid out below.
Once sorted, remove any loose threads or clumps of lint from each of your socks before washing. This stops any further unthreading from occurring during cleaning and will limit the amount of lint transfer that occurs between your different laundry items.
How to Wash Fuzzy Socks by Hand
Cleaning your socks by hand is the easiest way to ensure the softness and shape of your fuzzy socks are maintained during washing.
This will take up more time and effort than machine washing, but it is the safest cleaning method if you are unsure of how delicate the material of your socks is.
For the best results, follow the below instructions:
- Fill a sink or large bucket with lukewarm water. Add some mild detergent to the water and swirl it around until evenly distributed.
- Fully submerge the socks in the soapy water and gently move them around with your hands to ensure they become fully saturated. Leave the socks to soak for 10-15 minutes.
- After the time is up, gently rub the socks together to remove any stubborn stains or dirt, focusing on the soles and heels. Rinse the socks in cool water until it runs clear and all traces of detergent have been removed.
- Remove your fuzzy socks from the water. Gently squeeze out the excess water from the socks, taking care not to twist or wring them out as this can distort their shape.
- Lay the socks on a clean towel and roll them up to gently press out any remaining moisture. Reshape the socks if necessary and allow them to air dry on a flat surface away from heat or direct sunlight
This is all the information you need to be able to hand wash your fuzzy socks effectively. However, we do have a more in-depth guide to hand-washing clothes if you need extra guidance.
How to Wash Fuzzy Socks in the Washing Machine
Machine-washing is the most convenient way of cleaning your fuzzy socks. Although some items may become slightly shrunken or misshapen, the instructions below will keep your socks in perfect condition in the majority of cases:
- Place your fuzzy socks in a mesh laundry bag or pillowcase to prevent them from becoming tangled or stretched during the wash cycle. Then, load the socks into your machine drum along with the rest of your laundry.
- Select the delicate cycle on your machine, ensuring that cold or lukewarm water is being used. If your appliance doesn’t have a delicate cycle, there are some alternatives.
- Add a mild detergent to your washer’s dispenser, ensuring you always add the amount recommended on the product label. Start the wash cycle and let the machine do its work.
- Once the cycle is complete, remove the socks from the laundry bag or pillowcase and gently reshape them if needed. Lay the socks on a flat surface and allow them to air dry away from heat and direct sunlight.
If you’re unsure about putting your fuzzy socks in the washing machine, we suggest finding the manufacturer’s recommended cleaning instructions or using the hand-washing method we provided above.
It’s always better to be safe than sorry if you want to preserve the look and feel of your socks.
Maintaining the Lifespan of Your Fuzzy Socks
Now that you have mastered how to wash your fuzzy socks, it’s important that you know how to care for them properly.
The following tips will help extend the lifespan of your socks and keep them looking in their best condition:
- Keep your toenails clipped: This first tip may seem obvious, but keeping your toenails clipped is highly important in prolonging the lifespan of your socks. If your nails grow too long, the constant friction between them and the tip of your socks will cause a hole to form in the fabric.
- Neatly store your socks: The most common way of storing socks is to ball them up and chuck them in a drawer. Although this will do the job, the best way to store fuzzy socks is to fold them neatly. This will help your socks maintain their shape as it stops any unnecessary stretching of the fabric.
- Wear your socks as pairs: If you always pair random socks together, you may notice that some of your fuzzy socks are wearing out much quicker than others. Although there are plenty of things you can do with mismatched socks, we suggest always wearing them in a pair so that you don’t have tons of odd socks lying around.
- Put shoes on outside: Fuzzy socks are great at keeping your feet warm, but they’re not the most resilient piece of footwear. While you can safely wear them in the house, ensure you always wear shoes outside so they avoid any contact with rough or abrasive surfaces.
- Never use the tumble dryer: Most socks can be chucked in your tumble dryer with the rest of your laundry to speed up the drying process. Unfortunately, the heat used in the dryer will damage the fabric of fuzzy socks, making them appear much less fluffy. Stick to air drying if you want your plush, fluffy socks to last.
- Avoid fabric softener: You may be tempted to add fabric softener to your washer when cleaning your fuzzy socks, but this will actually reduce their lifespan. This is because the softener leaves a waxy residue that causes the fabric to wear down quicker and lock in foul odours.
Hannah is a freelance content writer with a passion for cleaning. She worked her way around Australia by cleaning hostels in exchange for free accommodation and used her cleaning skills to bag her a job as a chalet host for a luxury ski company in France.