Are you on the market for a new steam iron or simply looking for new ways to utilise the one that has been sitting unused? Steam irons can be a beneficial and versatile addition to any household. Whether for everyday use or occasional tasks, here are some answers to frequently asked questions.
- Are steam irons better than regular irons?
- Do steam irons need water? What kind of water is best for steam irons?
- Can you use a steam iron to kill bedbugs?
- Can you use a steam iron to remove wallpaper?
- Do steam irons turn themselves off?
- What sort of features should I look for when purchasing a steam iron?
Are steam irons better than regular irons?
A steam iron converts heavily heated water into steam, targeting the individual fibers of a fabric. When compared to traditional irons, which simply heat an area without entirely enveloping any single fibre, steam efficiently removes wrinkles, with longer lasting results.
Do steam irons need water? What kind of water is best for steam irons?
It is recommended to use distilled water in your steam iron to prevent build-up from forming inside of the holding tanks and heating elements. The water is added to the holding tank, super heated (to around 100 degrees Celsius) within the iron, and comes out in the form of steam through the holes in the soleplate.
Can you use a steam iron to kill bedbugs?
Yes, steam irons can be used to kill those pesky bedbugs! Try this method:
- With your iron on the highest temperature and steam setting, use quick strokes to iron your mattress completely. Do this on both sides to ensure you’re reaching as many bugs as possible. It is best to work in small segments, as this gives the bed bugs in that area less time to escape further down into the mattress.
- Iron around all of the mattress’ crevices and perimeters thoroughly, as bed bugs like to hide in these areas.
- Use your steam iron to iron other bedding items such as pillows and quilts as well.
- Repeat this process monthly, as bed bugs are able to live for a long period of time without any food (a.k.a. you – yuck).
Can you use a steam iron to remove wallpaper?
Yes! Although it may be a slow process, using a steam iron is an effective and cost-efficient method to remove unwanted wallpaper.
To remove wallpaper using a steam iron:
- If your iron has a “steam” button, press this a couple times to loosen up the glue holding the wallpaper to the wall.
- With the steam iron in one hand and a putty knife in the other, slowly move your iron up the wall. Following the steam iron, use the putty knife to scrape away the loosened wallpaper.
Be sure to move slowly and safely.
Do steam irons turn themselves off?
An auto-off feature on your steam iron is a mechanism which puts your iron into standby mode after a certain amount of time not in use. This completely turns off the heating plate, ensuring safety and removing the risk of a fire. Many modern steam irons come with an auto-off function, but this does not go for all of them available on the market.
What sort of features should I look for when purchasing a steam iron?
When looking to purchase a high-quality steam iron, look for the following features:
- Large holding tank (>8 ounces)
- Non-stick soleplate
- Stainless steel soleplate
- Adjustable steam
- Extra large heel