The best way to effectively clean your cast iron pan supports is actually the simplest method.
Food and grease can easily build up on your pan supports as you cook different meals every day, and it is important to find a way to get those supports back to their original germ-free, shiny state.
Step-by-Step Guide to Cleaning Cast Iron Pan Supports
- Remove the pan supports from the stove and place them in a sink full of very hot water. If you want an extra cleaning kick, you can add some washing powder to the very stubborn-looking spots on your supports.
- Leave them to soak in this water for about 15 minutes to loosen any food debris and grease that may have built up.
- Saturate a nylon scrubber or a dishwashing brush with some dish soap and scrub the pan supports all over, making sure to get into all the nooks and crannies.
- If you would prefer to use steel wool instead of the other brush options, then you can add the dish soap to the water in the sink and make sure it thoroughly wets the pan supports as you scrub them with the steel wool.
- After your supports have been scrubbed thoroughly, be sure to dry them properly before putting them back to make sure that they don’t become rusty.
What to Avoid When Cleaning Your Cast Iron Pan Supports
- Do not attempt to put your cast iron pan supports into your dishwasher as they may tarnish in the machine.
- It is also not advisable to use any products with bleach on your supports, and it is best to steer clear from chlorine and lemon juice as well. These liquids may cause damage to the cast iron.
- If you spot any cracks or chips in the finish of your pan supports, it is advisable to replace them as soon as possible before the damage worsens.
In the future, the best thing to do would be to add cleaning your cast iron pan supports to your weekly list of household chores. This will be a much quicker and simpler process if done frequently as the food and grease will not have as much time to build up.
An adventurous book lover with an animal obsession and a proclivity for travel and spontaneity. Used to passionately despise cleaning but has grown to enjoy it thanks to learning all the best tricks and shortcuts to guaranteeing a stress-free routine and a spotless home.