We all know that the kitchen can be one of the toughest places to clean in the house. With baked on grime and sauce splatters… there’s lots to contend with in the “heart of the home”!
Your kitchen is an important space and its imperative that it stays clean to avoid bacteria and germs building up and causing someone in your family to become ill.
Also, if you regularly sit in the kitchen to have a catch-up cuppa with your best friend, you don’t want them turning their nose up at your stained breakfast bar or countertops.
Fear not! We’re here with a list of the best kitchen surface cleaners to tackle all of those annoying food splashes, grease and other grimy bits.
Your kitchen will be sparkling in no time and we’ve added a couple of tricks to help keep your kitchen smelling just as sweet as it will look after a good whip-round with a cleaner and a cloth.
Best Kitchen Surface Cleaners
1. Dettol Power and Fresh Pomegranate Multi-Purpose Cleaner
If lemon-scented cleaners aren’t quite to your tastes (or smells should we say), then this Pomegranate and Lime Splash cleaner from Dettol may just be the one for you.
Dettol is another brand which is well-known for its cleaning and protecting, killing 99.9% of bacteria and viruses from surfaces. So if you have children and like to ensure your kitchen is free from nasties, Dettol would be the ideal choice.
Use this Power and Fresh spray to clean a multitude of surfaces and leave them sparkling AND disinfected.
- Kills 99.9% of germs and viruses
- Pleasant pomegranate scent
- Can be used on many surfaces
- Suitable for use in the bathroom
- Can be pricey when not on offer
- Scent may be too strong for some
As with most Dettol products, this is a great cleaner which works really well on grime and grease in the kitchen and can even help to clean your bathroom. As mentioned above, Dettol is the preferred cleaning brand for parents, as the germ and virus-killing action help to protect your family.
2. Method Daily Kitchen Surface Cleaner (Clementine)
Method’s daily kitchen cleaner comes in a fresh clementine scent which will truly liven up your kitchen as you clean, not to mention how happy you’ll be when you discover that Method is a cruelty-free brand who use non-toxic, plant-based technology to provide brilliant cleaning.
This cleaner cuts through grease and grime with natural cleaners derived from corn and coconut, which help to break down dirt naturally.
There’s even a surface cleaner designed specifically for use on granite and marble, so you too can get in on the Method cleaning action if your kitchen worktops are made of these natural materials.
- Fresh orangey scent
- Non-toxic and plant-based
- 100% recycled plastic packaging
- Good value for money – big bottle
- Scent may not be as strong as some may prefer
- Might not work as well on metal surfaces (e.g. taps)
This is a great all-round surface cleaner and offers pretty good value for money. The natural ingredients will suit those looking to make a difference in the number of chemicals they use in the home and you still get great cleaning results.
If you like something with a stronger scent, perhaps you’ll enjoy Method’s Antibacterial All-Purpose Cleaner in the scent Wild Rhubarb, which is also great for most kitchen surfaces (just not natural granite or marble).
3. Wilko Eco Kitchen Cleaner Spray
Not only is this kitchen surface cleaner eco-friendly, but it’s also very pocket-friendly too! Using plant-derived, natural ingredients, Wilko’s Eco Kitchen spray will easily cut through dirt, grime and grease and leave a lovely fresh smell in its wake.
With a 100% recycled plastic bottle (which is also recyclable) and a cleaning solution which is not harmful to aquatic life, you can start saving the oceans by switching to this kitchen surface cleaner. It’s also vegan-friendly!
- Great value for money
- Recycled and recyclable
- Plant-derived ingredients
- Opening nozzle may be confusing to use
If you’re after something with a small price tag but big cleaning power, then this eco kitchen cleaner from Wilko could just be the one for you. With other eco-friendly brands charging much more for their cleaning products, it’s very surprising that Wilko can do the same job for a much more accessible cost.
4. Astonish Kitchen Cleaner in Zesty Lemon
Astonish is available in many bargain shops in the UK but this doesn’t reflect how good it is at cleaning. This brand creates a variety of different cleaning products, all of which are great value for money.
Their kitchen cleaner, in a Zesty Lemon scent is ideal for most kitchens and great for using on the sink and taps as well as your kitchen work surfaces. The “streak-free” shine means you won’t need to buff or polish after cleaning – leaving hobs and taps looking like new.
- Great value for money
- Pleasant fresh lemon smell
- Cleans a multitude of surfaces
- Foams up slightly so you can see where you’ve sprayed
- May not be best for the most stubborn stains
- Might not cut through the thickest grease
- Strong scent may not agree with everyone
If value for money is your biggest want, then Astonish is a great choice. This spray will work in all areas of the kitchen and help to keep everything clean and smelling citrus fresh.
If you need something a little more heavy-duty for deep cleaning, perhaps you may want to look at one of our other products which you may find will be a bit tougher on those stubborn spots and greasy grime.
5. Flash Kitchen Spray
We’ve all heard of Flash, so it’s no wonder they have made it onto our list. Their kitchen cleaning spray is great for use all over the kitchen, cutting through grease and leaving shining results, as well as a fresh lemony scent.
This product actually enlists the technology that is used in Fairy washing up liquid, to get rid of grease pretty effectively – perfect for a splattered hob that’s seen a week’s worth (or more) of cooking!
- Well-known household brand name
- Degreasing effect
- Can be used on most kitchen surfaces
- Multi-purpose, so you won’t need to buy lots of different sprays for different jobs
- Can be used in the bathroom
- Strong scent may not suit some
- Not antibacterial
Flash is a great all-round cleaner which can be used in the bathroom as well as the kitchen, so you get more bang for your buck.
This spray works well to cut through grease (combined with Fairy’s degreasing action) and leaves shining surfaces. If you like to stick with household branded products, then Flash would be a great option for you.
6. ALKIMI Kitchen Cleaner With Grapefruit Seed Extract and Tea Tree Oil
ALKIMI’s Kitchen cleaner is made from naturally occurring cleaners which can help to keep your home sparkling without harming those around you or the environment.
Using grapefruit seed extract and tea tree oil, this kitchen spray is naturally fast-acting, targeting dirt, grease and grime on a multitude of surfaces.
- Non-toxic formulation
- Paraben, phthalate and chlorine-free
- 100% recyclable packaging
- Pleasant fresh smell
- Made from ingredients from ‘sustainable sources’
- Maybe a little pricier than other cleaners
- Brand doesn’t go into detail about ‘sustainable sources’
If you want to reduce the number of chemicals you use in your everyday cleaning routine, then you might want to invest in ALKIMI Kitchen Cleaner or check out one of their other cleaning products.
With more natural ingredients than other cleaning sprays on the market, this is a great option for being a little more eco-friendly. As with any brands which state they have natural ingredients and are non-toxic, it is always best to contact the company to discover more if you’re unsure.
How to Keep Your Kitchen Smelling Fresh
We did promise at the start of this post that we’d give you some quick tips on getting your kitchen smelling fresh and clean all of the time. Of course, cleaning your kitchen regularly is the best way to get rid of odours, but if you want a yummy smell present at all times or just a boost of freshness every now and then, here’s what you can do:
- Simmer fruit or herbs in a pan – this is the ideal option for a quick fix to kitchen stinks and works very well before guests come to your home. Slices of orange, lemon or lime smell wonderful when lightly heated in a pan of hot, simmering water, or you could opt for herbs like mint or lavender. This smell should dissipate throughout your home and give a really inviting effect for any last-minute visitors.
- Light a kitchen candle* – perhaps the most obvious choice for bringing a nice scent to your kitchen is to enlist the help of a scented candle. There are candles made specifically for kitchens, to eliminate foody odours and replace them with lemon, vanilla or even fresh-baked bread. Make sure your candle is well out of reach of children or pets.
- Use an oil burner or wax melts* – in a very similar vein to above, these options can help to give your kitchen a wonderful, strong smell which should last for quite some time. Make sure your oil burner is well out of reach of children or pets.
- Pop a fragrant plant on the window sill – there are many herbs which smell absolutely lovely and they make great plants to have on a windowsill. In the kitchen, you can use these herbs in your cooking and enjoy the beautiful scents that will fill your kitchen daily. Try mint, basil, rosemary, thyme, sage or lemon balm to name but a few.
- Use Zoflora to add scent to your natural cleaners –
*Always exercise caution when using candles, oils or wax melts and do not leave them unattended. Be very careful when using flame-powered items such as lighters, matches and candles. Stay safe!
When using strongly, unnatural scented items, be very careful in a home with pets or family members with respiratory problems. Strong smells can irritate animals noses and can agitate some breathing issues.
Out of all of the kitchen surface cleaners in our list, we would probably say that See price and reviews on Amazon.co.uk is the best all-round cleaner, working on a multitude of surfaces and giving that real feeling of clean. This is also the only kitchen cleaner which blatantly states that it kills 99.9% of germs and viruses, which many people want from all of their cleaning supplies, especially those with small children at home.
If you’re looking for something a little cheaper, then See price and reviews on Wilko.com might be best suited to you – plus this is an eco-friendly cleaner, which is much better for the earth and wildlife.
Thirty-something lady with a penchant for flowers and anything involving crafts. I like to clean using environmentally-friendly methods where possible and love sharing my findings, tips and tricks here on In The Wash!